With over 30 years’ experience in social housing and regeneration, Arthur is one of the most well-known and well-renowned legal practitioners working in the sector in the North West.
He has worked with RPs for over 30 years and deals with all aspects of property related housing association work, including arranging facility agreements for funding, securitisation, land acquisitions and sales, building contracts, lease agreements, management agreements, service level agreements and nomination agreements with local and health authorities.
One of Arthur’s most recent development schemes include a multi-million pound scheme built and handed over a 4 year period and a scheme with 75 homes for rent and sale, with legal contracts drafted and exchanged within one month of our appointment.
Arthur is a familiar face at Croftons’ regular housing seminars and has recently given training on complex Value Added Tax “Golden Brick” agreements.
Described by Chambers & Partners (who identify and rank the world’s best lawyers and law firms) as a “popular figure among clients”, Arthur is recognised as a leading expert in Social Housing in the North West and along with his team inspires loyalty in clients.
In addition, Arthur is responsible for all Charitable trust matters within Croftons.
- Acted for an RP on the acquisition of former iron-works site for a flagship development, advising on interpretation of a Deed of Easement granting drainage rights to an adjoining land owner and S106 negotiations / agreement required for planning approval.Land/build value - £6.5m.
- Acted for an RP on the complex acquisition of a landlocked part of a farmer’s field, including activating an existing agreement with the adjoining landowners to ensure access rights from the existing roadway to the development site and negotiating a Deed of Grant of Easement ensuring permanent access to the site. Land/build value - £1m.
- Acted for an RP on the purchase of part of a church-owned site, involving splitting the project into two phases with separate land and building contracts to ensure phase 1 completion by a set date that would ensure grant funding could be received. Land/build value - £2m.
- Acquisition of canal-side mills that would be demolished to make way for a new development. Advising on the disapplication of the seller’s option to charge VAT, the contract being conditional upon planning permission, funding conditions and negotiating ongoing maintenance of the footpaths and bridge over the canal which divides the site. Land/build value - £8m.
- Acting for an RP on the acquisition of a former factory site to develop 50 affordable homes, advising on the extinguishment of rights of way crossing the site and/or the obtaining of indemnity insurance, VAT and roadway adoption issues. Land/build value - £5m.